Fitche Hospital serves 1.5 million people in Oromia Region, Ethiopia. In Oromia Region, where road accidents, pneumonia and gastro-intestinal tract infections are extremely common. Yet the hospital’s overcrowded emergency room has only six beds crammed inside. The cramped space makes privacy an impossible luxury and the crumbling walls, broken sinks, and uneven, cavity riddled floors make patient safety and infection an ever-present concern.
Imagine being an ER doctor in Fitche Hospital. Imagine having a patient rushed in, being held in a nurses arms because there were no more stretchers. What would it be like being forced to triage her on a dirty floor or even having to turn her away?
In Canada, we never have to think about what it’s like to have doctors turn away a patient with obvious head trauma. We know sending her in a cab -alone - to a hospital three hours away because their hospital simply can do nothing for her, isn’t an option. But in Ethiopia, at Fitche Hospital, this is a far too common scene.
- Approximately 1.5 million people who rely on Fitche Hospital as their regional health provider.
- 3,600 households supported through trained Health Extension Workers, in and around Fitche catchment area of the rural communities.
- 57 Health Centres and 297 Health Posts
- 102 Fitche Hospital staff.
- 1,200 households directly reached
This World Health Day, CPAR is asking you to donate just one day or part of your pay to change this reality.
You can help us:
- Repair and expand the current ER to improve emergency department efficiency.
- Install new handwashing and sterilization areas.
- Supply new treatment and recovery beds.
- Procure required medical equipment, medicines, and other necessary supplies.
Do you want to involve your entire practice and community?
Dr. N. Kevin Wade has been supporting Donate a Day since 2006.
"When working on a medical project in Malawi, I saw the locals gathering around a clean water pump mounted on a slab of clean concrete. I was proud to learn this was a CPAR project in action. It was obviously making a big difference in the community. With a young family and a busy practice it has been difficult to travel back to Africa but I know that donating my income from a day in my practice to CPAR allows them to continue their good work supporting health and community development even if I can’t travel to these locations as often as I would like."
You can help us by donating a day of your pay or by holding a fundraising event at your office or hold a fundraiser with friends. If you need posters or t-shirts for your fundraising event, please contact me at (416) 369-0865 ex 31 or toll-free at 1-800-263-2727 ex 31 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Know a Doctor? Tell a Doctor. Challenge your colleagues and friends.
Your gift can help a generation thrive.